I've been wanting to write this review for weeks, but it was December, and Christmas got in my way, and then I got sick, and then... well, you get the point. I was busy. But, this book is important enough to me, that I still absolutely must write this review. As a matter of fact, I am teaching a nutrition workshop this weekend, and I am going to give away a copy of it. What I really want to do is to pull an "Oprah" and give ONE COPY TO EVERY AUDIENCE MEMBER!! Cheers and applause! Okay, can't do that, but yes, I can give a raving review.
Please know, that I don't give raving reviews as a friendship service. If I don't like a book, I'd rather not write a review at all than write a good review. So, here it goes!
First of all, did you know that Kelly Bejelly resides right here in Portland, OR? I "met" her years ago through fastpaleo.com, and even then I was delighted to have someone from Oregon post her recipes on fastpaleo. Kelly is the first person (I think!) to publish a Paleo cookbook in Oregon. This makes her a celebrity in my book! I am totally star struck. Plus, she calls me hun. Okay, so she calls everyone hun, because she is just that nice.
The book is amazing... for a number of reasons!
1. She wrote all the recipes and photographed all the pictures herself. So you can be sure, each one of her recipes is tried and true, and also she has crazy food photography skills.
2. In the front of the book, you have actual chapters with the various recipes. Chapter 1 is The Basics with recipes like Barbecue Sauce, Ketchup, and Ranch Dressing, just to name a few. Chapter 2 is devoted to Breads, Wraps, and Pastries. Chapter 3 is Breakfast, then comes Mains, Sides & Salads, Desserts, and Drinks. I put a little post it note (color coded) on each new chapter page, so I know where to go, when I'm looking for a Main Dish. Smart, eh?
3. I think this is my very favorite thing in the whole book. Starting on page 287, each chapter's recipes have thumbprint sized pictures on one page! Seriously, how cool! I don't have to go through the whole damn book to find something to make. No, I can go right there on page 287, look through all the little thumbprints and find right there what I'm looking for. Of course there is a page number attached to each picture, so you can find the recipe easily. She even listed all the AIP recipes on a page. Pretty cool, right? Of course, then there is still the alphabetical index, if you don't like looking at pictures. ;)
4. Also in the back of the book, Kelly added a bunch of great information, like baking tips, cooking tips, and my personal favorite: conversions! Who knew that 1/2 teaspoon = 30 drops? I didn't! 5 1/3 tbsp = 1/3 cup or 5 tbsp + 1tsp. Yes, I may be getting a little too excited about these things. But first of all, I really have run into this problem, especially when trying to create my own recipes (which I have a love/hate relationship with), and second, I have never seen this in any other cookbook, so there!
5. The recipes! I'm sorry I cannot offer a picture. Both the Pepper Steak and the Duchess Sweet Potatoes were gone by the time I remembered to take a picture. That's why you get to look at my pretty face holding the book instead. ;) Okay, I have a confession to make. I am not much of a cookbook user. Sure, I'll skim through them to get inspiration now and then. But I usually just do my own thing. Why? Because most of the time, they are just too complicated for me. I am a busy mother of 3, we homeschool, I work, I run around town like a crazy person every day. And while I absolutely love to cook a good meal, I just don't have the time! But I also like to be organized and have a weekly cooking plan, and often enough I run out of ideas of what to make. And this is what makes THIS BOOK so special and different! It is easy! Even when there are 20 ingredients in a recipe, usually there will only be about 5 steps to whip up the dish. I need easy in my life, Paleo Eats makes me want to use it for just that reason!
She also added prep time, cook time, and how much of everything you get.
And finally, each recipe has a little blurb written at the top. She'll talk about how and when she came up with the recipe, why she loves it, and sometimes tell little stories about her life. This is absolutely sweet and charming, and I really totally dig it.
Soooo, if you are like me, and you want to support an awesome author from Oregon, then click that link below and pre-order your copy now!! Publishing date is January 6, 2015! Also, this is an affiliate link, so if you order through me, I also get a couple of bucks. :)