There is a common misconception that all you need to do for perfect health is to change your diet. In my work as Nutritional Therapist for a functional doctor, I see between 5 and 10 patients a day. Many of these patients have but one goal: weight loss. They walk into my office expecting to get a quick fix solution for their weight troubles. Ideally, I give them a step by step plan for what foods to eat, what foods to avoid and the exact amounts. They want their macronutrient intake to be broken down into protein grams, fat grams, and carb grams.
When one young patient told me she'd rather be thin and feel miserable than to be thick and happy, I knew I had a problem on my hands.
You see, nutrition is only a part of a bigger picture. It is only a part of what makes you, you. You can eat all the healthy foods in the world and still not be healthy, still not lose weight, still not accomplish your goals. Here are some facts on why this is happening.
1. You are fighting. You are the product of your upbringing. You have been force fed by the media and society that it is absolutely vitally important to weigh x amount at y height. Then, and only then, will you be good enough for this world. You are having some serious body image issues, my friend. And this fact alone can keep you from losing weight.
2. You are a 21st century superhero.... with adrenal fatigue. Constantly on the run, you are in a permanent sympathetic state. You get up at 4am to work out at 5am. You arrive at work by 7am, work until 5pm, pick up the kids, cook dinner, clean the house, save the world from destruction. You are as stressed out as the majority of the adults in this country. You are SO not losing weight!
3. You don't sleep. You may have a regular bedtime of 10pm. But are you actually going to sleep then? Or might you be staring at a screen (the way I'm doing right now) checking Facebook one last time, responding to that super important e-mail, watching that latest episode of whatever zombie series you're into right now? Did you know that most people over report on the amount they sleep by up to an hour? Did you know that the blue light emitting screens you're staring at are inhibiting the release of melatonin and in return keeping you from falling asleep? And did you know that lack of sleep is linked to brain fog, impaired memory, slower response, and, you guessed it, WEIGHT GAIN?
4. You are starving! Believe it or not, the majority of my patients don't overeat, they undereat. I have patients every single day, trying to survive on less than 1,000 calories. By noon they feel sluggish, by 4pm they can barely count to 5. Their bodies are in a state of emergency, and when your body is in a state of emergency, it will hold on to fat for "dear life"... literally.
5. You are a couch potato... or a workout nut. Neither of these are healthy, and neither of them will help you accomplish your weight loss goals.
These are just a few examples of why you are not where you want to be. The truth is, your emotional health and your physical health very much go hand in hand. You cannot address one without the other and see the results you're hoping for. You must look at the bigger picture. The bigger picture is all of you: your diet, your lifestyle, your sleep, your emotions. Get in touch with me if it's just too confusing. I can help you address one issue after another. But your first goal has to be health! Physically and emotionally.
You can work with me in person locally or from a distance. And you are more than welcome to join one of my upcoming group classes. Just check out the contact form and get in touch with me now.